[Sca-cooks] food safe temperature

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Dec 20 03:52:08 PST 2004

Also sprach a5foil:
>Adamantius scripsit:
>>  I once had a wonderful time persuading an executive chef and general
>>  manager that they needed a wort chiller for stockpots...
>
>Usually I just stick the pot of hot whatever in the "solar" -- floor
>directly over the outside air, glass windows, gets very cold in the winter.
>I never thought of using the wort chiller. Thanks for the idea.
>
>Cynara

This was after all stock making became "my job", even though it had
never been in my job description at that particular establishment,
but it was noticed that the stocks I made stayed fresh for several
days after the ones made by the other cooks went bad. They also used
to do horrible things to five-pound boxes of shrimp, BTW.

If you are going to use a wort chiller, ideally, you have to have a
dedicated chiller for meat, or at least take a great deal of trouble
making absolutely sure it's clean before using it for brewing. Fats
in beer do bad things. For this workplace, it wasn't a problem
because they didn't make beer (and it would have looked pretty weird
in the corporate setting...

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782