[Sca-cooks] food safe temperature

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Mon Dec 20 08:21:44 PST 2004

Wistan scripsit:
> Simply putting something hot in somewhere very cold doesn't drop the
> temperature as much as you'd expect.

I remember our first brewing session. It was pretty cold out, so we just put
the pot of wort on the porch. And stirred and checked the temperature for
what seemed like hours, to bring it from near-boiling to a temperature that
would not kill the yeasties outright. The wort chiller is truly a remarkable
gadget.

When I'm doing a large pot of soup or stock and am planning on storing it
overnight in the solar, I generally add part of the liquid as ice cubes to
cool it off quickly.

Cynara