[Sca-cooks] Hippenmas (sp?) Long

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 20 12:13:48 PST 2004

--- Jeff Gedney <gedney1 at iconn.net> wrote:

> Try Googling under "Hippenmasse"
> I get a ton of responses, though most of them have cocoa powder and vanilla added to the pastry.
>
> Now, tell us how you perfected it.
>
> Capt Elias
> -Renaissance Geek of the Seven Seas

Simple, really.... the basic recipe I had been given had no instructions.  After years of trial
and error, I found that if I beat the egg whites to soft peaks, then added the sugar and beat to
stiff peaks, and *then* beat in the flour, and kept the whip running for about 5 minutes, the
batter comes out smooth, but not entirely free-flowing... allowing me to pipe out very intricate
designs with good control over the batter, and just a hint of 'puff' when baked.  I'm assuming it
has something to do with the gluten formation accomplished by the extended beating of the flour
after inclusion.  In previous attempts I had tried folding in the flour (too much puff in the
oven), adding the sugar to the whites at the start (too free-flowing and too much spread in the
oven), and adding the sugar to the egg-flour paste (super glue).

William de Grandfort

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.