[Sca-cooks] Mace and Must Substitute

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Dec 20 12:28:07 PST 2004

Also sprach Chris Stanifer:
>--- lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
>
>>  Louise Smithson <helewyse at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>  >The difference between the sesame oils may be one of preparation.
>>  >The oriental sesame oil (dark) tends to be from toasted sesame
>>  >seeds, while that from the middle east tends to be from raw sesame
>>  >oils.  Thus leading to a completely different taste experience.
>>
>>  Nope. I know the difference between regular sesame oil (which is a
>>  dark red-brown) and roasted sesame oil (which comes in varying shades
>>  of yellow).
>

>Isn't that reversed??  My roasted sesame oil is quite dark, while my
>regular sesame oil looks a
>little darker than Mazola.  I could be wrong.
>
>William de Grandfort

Reading the above, I thought the same thing, but I suspect you and I
just haven't encountered this red-brown sesame oil as yet. I'd
suspect a filtration factor (or lack thereof) that might offset the
color change that would otherwise be brought on by toasting. Think
about cold-pressed, EV olive oil and how green it often is, and the
comparatively neutral flavor and color of the cheap stuff...

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04