[Sca-cooks] Was food safe temperature. now food safe jars/bottles

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 20 14:02:26 PST 2004

Stefan li Rous wrote:

>> In my "Beginning Cordial Making" class, I stress that
>> soda bottles are not suitable.
>
> But is this due to the chemicals in the plastic bottle? Or the fact
> that the plastic bottles are fairly air-permeable? This is the reason
> that soft drinks go "flat" much quicker in the 2 and 3-liter plastic
> soda bottles than they did in the old glass two quart bottles.
>
>> As another example,
>> Classico spaghetti jars (and some others) are equivalent
>> to canning jars ... but you need to use a new band and
>> lid -- you can't reuse the original lid/cap
>
> Isn't this true of all canning jars, even the ones you buy in the
> store specifically for this? Or do you get to reuse the bands and the
> lids several times on those before replacing them?
>
> Stefan

My husband makes mead and always uses the 2 liter soda bottles...says
that they have tight-fitting caps and can handle minor pressure.  He
always sterilizes the insides with a solution of campden tablets, along
with the caps.  I do the same thing when I need to transport anything
from broth to salad dressings to sauces.  We've never had any problem!

As far as canning jars are concerned, whether used or new, I wash them
in the dishwasher to sterilize them before using.  I always use new
lids...the seal has already been used if the lid has been used...and
either used or, if I don't have any, new bands.  Then I use a canner to
process them, and upon taking them out, wait anxiously to hear each jar
do it's little "pop" that says that the seal has taken.

Kiri