[Sca-cooks] use of soda bottles for storage

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 20 21:02:25 PST 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com>

'Lainie replied to me with:
> I don't think it's as much of a problem as you are thinking, Stefan.
> I've
> done small mead in plastic- it's fizzy and I haven't had a problem with
> it.
But how long are you keeping this small mead? On the order of a few
weeks or months, right? Not the one, two or five years that most meads
are kept. Actually I'd forgotten about small meads earlier and was
thinking of regular meads, either bubbly or not. That is all I've ever
made.<<<SNIP>>>

One issue not so important to sody pop, but definitely to means and other alcoholic beverage is oxygen permeability.  Over years, oxygen leaches into the liquid, as well as products from the very soft plastic.  You can very easily get off tastes after even 10 months in a permeable soft plastic like PET 2 liters.  You get yourself a harder plastic or glass, and you get more protection from oxygen-building compounds.  That is also where surface area can be important to mead . . . more area exposed to air, means more possibility for oxygen compounds building.

niccolo difrancesco

Nick Sasso