[Sca-cooks] ServSafe Temps and Other Stuff

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 20 17:34:46 PST 2004

I know I mentioned this in a sig line in another post, but I did just a
couple of weeks ago take the National Restaurant Association's ServSafe
training, along with the Train the Trainer training, and am now certified to
teach it (handy, since I'm teaching it next quarter).  I have the book with
the current regs, temperature ranges, number of seconds to wash your hands,
sanitize a pot, and roast a turkey.  So, if anyone needs any of that info,
I'll be happy to post it.

This certification comes at a really good time for me.  The state is in the
process of working on legislation that will require every one of the 12,000
food service establishments Georgia (9,000 in Atlanta) to employ at least
one person with ServSafe training. (Hey, Nicolo - this will mean you!).  So,
if everyone has to get trained, I can get paid to teach them :)  The nice
thing is, I schedule a class and it gets registered with the NRA (the
restaurant folks, not the ones with the guns), and put in their database, so
anyone in the area the class is being offered can come take it as well.  The
training runs around $195 a head, with a proctored exam.  I have to see how
much of that is cost to see  how much of a discount I can offer it to SCA
folks for - the test sheet alone goes for $38 bucks.  The certificate is
good for 5 years, then you have to re-test.  They change just enough
information to make you have to take more training, tricky bastards.  Ex. -
handwashing used to be 15 seconds, now it's 20; upper food temp used to be
140°, now it's 135° -  that sort of thing.
Christianna