[Sca-cooks] food safe temperature

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Mon Dec 20 23:35:15 PST 2004

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Vincenzo commented:
> > > The same effect can be achieved much more economically
> > > by filling and freezing a leftover 1-litre soda bottle.
> > >
> > > William de Grandfort
> >
> > Economical -- yes.
> >
> > Tasty -- not quite right.
> >
> > Safety -- uncertain.
> >
> > The point is that a 1L soda bottle is not food grade
> > plastic;

> Why? Food is being sold in it.

The soft drink bottles have multiple layers -- the outer
layer might not be food grade.

> > the label has to be removed to be sure the outside is
> > clean; you have to be sure you have cleaned between the
> > outside of the neck and the cap.  sometimes the label
> > has printing on the outside -- is it save for the food
> > you are trying to cool; how do you get that off?

> Yes, but most of this is also true of the wort cooler if
> it is going to be used more than once. Even the label
> since it comes with a label originally, right? You have
> to make sure that the wort cooler has been properly
> cleaned and sanitized. Wouldn't the same standards also
> apply to the soda bottle?

Yes, at the time of manufacture.  ... and after that?

> > In my "Beginning Cordial Making" class, I stress that
> > soda bottles are not suitable.

> But is this due to the chemicals in the plastic bottle?

No. -- It is to avoid any transfer of taste/flavor from
the bottle to the cordial.  The lid/cap offers the same
risk.

Case in point proved the one time I used empty Grolsch
flip top bottles to transport cordials.  Even though the
bottles had been thoroughly cleaned, the cordials were
ruined by the yeast taste hiding under the rubber washer
in the cap.

[snip]

> > As another example,
> > Classico spaghetti jars (and some others) are equivalent
> > to canning jars ... but you need to use a new band and
> > lid -- you can't reuse the original lid/cap

> Isn't this true of all canning jars, even the ones you
> buy in the store specifically for this?

Yes

> Or do you get to reuse the bands and the lids several
> times on those before replacing them?

You can reuse the bands -- you should use new lids each
time.

Next time you have the lid from a jar of spaghetti sauce,
note how the inside of the lid has changed color from
white to red -- just try getting it back to white.

> Stefan

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick