[Sca-cooks] food safe temperature

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 21 00:58:39 PST 2004

Having canned for the past 44 years, I can tell
you that you should _never_ reuse metal canning
lids more than once.  It even says so on the box.
  Unless you like having jars that are not
airtight.  The separate rubber rings you have
described are for use with glass canning lids
and are very
very difficult to position just right in order to
achieve an airtight seal.

Huette

--- Micheal <dmreid at hfx.eastlink.ca> wrote:

> Depends on whether  you buy the ones with
> rubber  rings or with the rubber
> attached to the lids. (Rubber plastic same
> thing in this case) The lid type
> I personally don`t trust to use a second time.
> Canning process might leave a
> crease in the rubber. But the rings go into a
> pot of boiling water to be
> reused until they no longer flex before
> throwing them out.
>  But I have never used a canning bottle to put
> ice into a pot. I expect they
> might have a tendency to explode. I use plastic
> soda bottles or ice cubes
> around the sides.
>  Da
>  Who regularly gets can on cordials, or is that
> cordially canned regularly

=====
shall never cease to be amused.