[Sca-cooks] food safe temperature

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 05:42:09 PST 2004

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 00:06:46 -0800 (PST), Chris Stanifer
<jugglethis at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I may be misunderstanding you, but I don't see how a plastic bottle filled with ice could give a
> food any more of an unwanted taste than a plastic paddle filled with frozen liquid.  The food is
> not actually going inside the bottle.    Are you referring to the outside of the bottle?  If so,
> it's made of food grade plastic, as well (Low Density Polyethelyne, if I'm not mistaken), the same
> plastic as the inside I believe (aren't they extrusion molded??).

They are actually blown up like balloons.    The plastic on the cooling paddles
is more than likely a higher density, and less permeable.   The
plastic the bottles
are made out of are permeable by design (they don't want soda on the
shelf forever,
even if its contents should have a half life) and they are designed to hold the
contents they hold, soda.

After a while they will more than likely start to pick up the flavors
and chemicals
from the hot foods they are soaking in.  Really hot foods will open
the plastic up
to absorbing things, even if there is ice inside.  Eventually, if you
use the same
bottle long enough it will start to get funky on you.

The paddles are designed not to.

I think this is the grail that folks are chasing after in this conversation.

It is best to be safe and not down and funky, I think.  Dunno, that just sorta
came out.

> Regardless, I have used them for years, and have never had any problems with leakage, off flavors,
> melting, warping or toxic poisoning of any kind (at least, not as far as I know...)
>
> William de Grandfort

Nope, probably not, but if you leave the bottle in the food long enough, it will
smell like the food it was in, even after it is washed thouroughly.

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson