[Sca-cooks] food safe temperature

Rikke D. Giles rgiles at centurytel.net
Tue Dec 21 11:16:31 PST 2004

On 2004.12.21 11:03, Stefan li Rous wrote:
> Huette mentioned:
>> The separate rubber rings you have
>> described are for use with glass canning lids and are very
>> very difficult to position just right in order to
>> achieve an airtight seal.
>
> *glass* canning lids? Are you saying that the lids themselves are of
> glass rather than metal? I don't think I've see any of these, unless
> I have but didn't realize they were for canning. I've seen various
> decorative jars with glass lids, usually with a metal wire
> arrangement which acts as a hinge and a clamp to hold them closed.
> These usually have a white rubber ring. The jars are often square in
> shape. Are these actually (originally?) canning jars?

Yes, they are.  And they are still used in Britain.  I've several that
I got from my ex-mother-in-law, while I lived in Britain (was married
to a Brit).  The jars aren't square, but round.  They aren't as easy to
use as American canning jars and metal rings etc, but they do have one
superiority.  Acidic foods do not cause them to rust.  In my,
admittedly limited, experience one of the most popular things canned
are pickles or chutneys.  Err, not the same as our pickles/pickle
relish.  Anyway these are quite acidic and need the glass jars and lids
or now, more modernly, they are put in plastic containers and frozen.

Cheers,

Aelianora de Wintringham
Barony of Dragon's Laire
Kingdom of AnTir