[Sca-cooks] FWD: RE: Ice Distillation in Homes

Jeff Gedney gedney1 at iconn.net
Tue Dec 21 11:46:04 PST 2004

Good afternoon...

I was under the impression that private distillation without license and taxes paid was definitively not allowed in any quantity in the United States.

I had thought that the removal of alcohol for beverage purposes from a frozen fermented beverage (produced under the personal use exemptions in 27CFR24.25 and 27CFR25.205) by any method, including freeze separation, was a federally prohibited activity without the necessary Distilled spirits plant licencing and taxes.

27CFR19.11 defined distilled spirits as separated ethyl alcohol produced by "whatever method":

"Spirits or distilled spirits. That substance known as ethyl alcohol, ethanol, or spirits of wine in any form (including all dilutions and mixtures thereof, from whatever source or by whatever process produced) but not denatured spirits unless specifically stated. The term does not include mixtures of distilled spirits and wine, bottled at 48[deg] proof or less, if the mixture contains more than 50 percent wine on a proof gallon basis."

The following email, recieved by a associate of mine from Linda Franklin at the TTB, appears to directly contradict this understanding, stating that this activity is _not_ federally regulated.

Please clarify the Federal position on this activity...

What is "legal" with regard to this activity and what is not?

Jeff Gedney
Stratford, CT, USA

From: Chris Stanifer <jugglethis at yahoo.com>
Date:  Tue, 21 Dec 2004 10:33:37 -0800 (PST)

Well, folks.... here is the definitive answer from the Federal Government regarding the legality
of distillation of alcoholic beverages via an ice cube tray...  turns out it is up to the
individual state.

William de Grandfort