[Sca-cooks] FWD: RE: Ice Distillation in Homes

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 21 14:05:40 PST 2004

--- Jeff Gedney <gedney1 at iconn.net> wrote:

. The term does
> not include mixtures of distilled spirits and wine, bottled at 48[deg] proof or less, if the
> mixture contains more than 50 percent wine on a proof gallon basis."

This would seem to cover the mead-ethyl alcohol ratio in the original example quite well. On a
proof-per-gallon basis, the amount of alcohol to wine (in this case mead) is well under 48 proof
(which is 24 percent alcohol by volume), so the local authorities should have no problem with it.
Even if the distilled alcohol is added in an attempt to fortify an already alcoholic mead (which
was the original statement which started this thread), coming up with a 48 proof mead would be
pretty difficult.

William de Grandfort

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.