[Sca-cooks] FWD: RE: Ice Distillation in Homes

Jeff Gedney gedney1 at iconn.net
Wed Dec 22 12:38:59 PST 2004

>Distill away, people.....

that is unwaranted...

It is quite a stretch to go from "<one department among hundreds> has been moved under the Justice Department, because of Sept 11 reforms, and no longer deals with tax law" (which is what happened here), to "small scale distilling is legal"

The fact remains that the process of freezing mead is legal.
Removing the alcohol from the frozen mead for other beverage use without license is not, according to current US tax codes.

The same person at the TTB that you got your mail from, Linda Franklin, replied to my email witht he following:

"Just freezing a product in ice trays and using it for personal consumption is considered ice distillation only if you plan on "capturing" the escaped alcohol and processing it as a distilled alcohol product. You then may be crossing the line. What escapes in the air is not distillation for commercial purpose unless you just want to lock it in a room and inhale it or something. If you still feel you are breaking any laws by doing this, then we suggest you not do it. "

She appears to think that you are freezing it to remove and discard or evaporate the alcohol. Considering the confusing and leading way you asked formatted your email, I am not surprised at her confusion. Such removal of alcohol aint what you are doing. She says that what you are tyring to do, using the separated alcohol for beverage purposes, is "crossing the line"

Neither the her message, nor the fact that the ATF is no longer a treasury department, constitute permission to distill or statement that you are not liable to prosecution if you do engage in distillation without appropriate license.

Knowing the law is not paranoia.
Willfully ignoring the law does not confer legality.
The US code of federal regulations exist.
Get to know them.
Then talk.

Capt Elias
-Renaissance Geek of the Seven Seas

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather
wood, divide the work, and give orders.  Instead, teach them
to yearn for the vast and endless sea.
  - Antoine de Saint Exupery