[Sca-cooks] FWD: RE: Ice Distillation in Homes

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 22 16:22:58 PST 2004

--- Jeff Gedney <gedney1 at iconn.net> wrote:

> The same person at the TTB that you got your mail from, Linda Franklin, replied to my email
> witht he following:
>
> "Just freezing a product in ice trays and using it for personal consumption is considered ice
> distillation only if you plan on "capturing" the escaped alcohol and processing it as a
> distilled alcohol product. You then may be crossing the line.

This is exactly my point.  I think the confusion may be the term 'processing it as a distilled
alcohol product'...which isn't the intention, nor the final product.  The original e-mail which
sparked this whole 'guvmint-gonna-getcha' debacle referred to freezing a portion of mead in ice
trays, and adding the distilled alcohol back into another batch of mead to bolster the acohol
content.  At this point, you are capturing the alcohol, which may seem illegal...however, you are
not processing it as a distilled alcohol product (and here follows the key point) of high enough
proof to cause a legal concern (48 proof is the cutoff).

I already mentioned in an earlier e-mail that the distillation of alcohol in large quantities is,
of course, illegal...but this is not what we have been discussing.  The original contention, from
Phlip, I believe, was that even this small amount of alcohol distillation was illegal.  And, it
ain't.

William de Grandfort

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.