[Sca-cooks] Baileys, was Frittering Laurels

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Wed Dec 22 05:30:23 PST 2004

Huette von Ahrens wrote

>For the lactose intolerant, how about making
>advocaat?  I am not sure how old it is, but
>Bols, who is the premiere company who makes it,
>has been a distillery since 1575, according
>to their website.
>
>Here is an advocaat recipe:
>
>10 Eggs
>1/2 Level teaspoon salt
>275 g Sugar
>4 dl Cognac
>1-1/2 level teaspoons vanilla
>
>Separate the eggs and beat the yolks with the
>salt and the sugar, until the mixture is thick
>and creamy. Beat in the cognac, very slowly and
>put the mixture into a double saucepan. Heat
>gently, whisking all the time until the advocaat
>is warm (not hot) and thick. Remove the pan from
>the heat and stir in the vanilla essence. Pour
>into a jug.
>Serving Size: 12
>Advocaat is served in a glass and eaten with a
>teaspoon. It can also be topped with whipped
>cream.
>
>Huette

This sounds very similar to a cream dish I was served when in Scotland
some years back...it was made with Glayva instead of cognac...and I
don't have the recipe, unfortunately...but, from your description, this
sounds like the same stuff.  Glayva is a liqueur made with Scotch...and
is wonderful, much better, IMHO, than Drambuie.

Kiri