[Sca-cooks] OT: GAFilk

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 22 07:37:04 PST 2004

Bill Fisher wrote:

>On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 00:33:18 +0000, deborah minyard <dminmin at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>There was some discussion of getting together at GAFilk. Who's going and any
>>plans?
>>
>>Debbie Minyard
>>

>What is GAFilk?
>
>Cadoc

GA for Georgia, USA;  Filk for filk singing, Science Fiction Fandom's
answer to Folk Singing.  Some parodies or songs set to previously
existing tunes, some highly original.  Of course, the term has crossed
over into SCA bardic circles. A few filkers have crossed over into the
public via Dr. Demento's syndicated radio show, such as Leslie Fish and
The Great Luke Ski.   A closer examination of Filking can be seen in
direct-to-video feature TREKKIES 2, I know because I'm there in the
background of scenes shot at Con-Chord in Los Angeles.  GAFilk is the
first full weekend of January and I wish I could go.

Selene