[Sca-cooks] food safe temperature

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 22 11:25:15 PST 2004

--- Micheal <dmreid at hfx.eastlink.ca> wrote:

> Greetings
> I have never seen the metal screw type.

After New Year's, if you are interested, I will
take a photo of them and send it to you.

Mine
> all have glass lids and wire
> lever thingies.( technical lingo what lol)
>  Fill position rubber ring, place on lid,  pull
> up wire making sure you have
> seal pull down lever to tighten. Clamps nice
> and tight to the side of the
> jar. Put in an appropriate storage place. I
> would draw it if I could but
> later.
>  I suspect they work pretty much the same. Mine
> are about the same in age
> some maybe even older. Doesn't`t matter they
> still work.  I agree on the
> rings but my grandmother wouldn't`t. Squeeze
> that penny all the tighter she
> would say.
>  Da

So was mine, very tight.  However, she also knew
what the failure rate could be and how much
wastage that would cause, back in the day when
they only had small ice boxes and no freezers.
To re-can the contents would usually mean fruit
or vegetable mush instead of nice edible
individual fruits and veggies.  So she preferred
to waste the few pennies the rings cost over
wasting the valuable nutrition of said fruits
and veggies that she grew in her own garden.
Just a different form of thriftiness.

A couple of years ago, the 99 Cents Only stores
had 1/2 gallon blue glass canning jars with
glass lids, rubber rings and the wire clamps to
hold the lids down.  At 99 cents they are
worthless as canning jars.  I only use them
to make cordials or make pickled fruits and
veggies, where I don't have to seal them.  And
even then I have to cover the mouths with
Seran/plastic wrap to keep the invisible buggies
and mold spores out.  As someone said, "You get
what you pay for."  Sigh.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.