[Sca-cooks] OOP? Hispanic cookie question

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 22 11:55:46 PST 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Wildecelery at aol.com

One of my colleagues asked me yesterday for a (simple, inexpensive)  Hispanic recipe that his daughter could prepare for a Spanish class Holiday party.  I gave him the recipe that I posted to the list for the 'cookie exchange'.  Most of my Spanish/Hispanic cookery documentation etc... is in a box in my attic.  Is there anyone on the list who might know the actual name of this type of cookie?  I know there is a Spanish name, as I was introduce to them by a student who had found the recipe as part of a research project!

I went into the archives to review the recipe.  Bits of flour tortillas, baked with sugar and cinnamon.  I found many websites with recipes for these, though frying them seems to be more common than baking.  They are called buñuelos.   This is also the name of another kind of dessert -- fried dough served with honey and cinnamon.   I'm not sure if the differences are regional, or if "buñuelo" is a meta-name for a food that has multiple forms.  Medieval Spanish buñuelos were closer to the fried dough version.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom