[Sca-cooks] A recipe for Devra...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Dec 23 03:36:02 PST 2004

Also sprach Stefan li Rous:
>Phlip replied to me with:
>>Uh, more like 45 minutes, Stefan, at 425, longer at 350- I usually
>>figure on the order of an hour and a quarter, since 350 is my default
>>temperature. You want the potatoes pretty soft. 350 is the temp I
>>usually cook roasts
>>at, so I usually throw both in at more or less the same time.
>
>Thanks. See? Lol. Not what I estimated. Of course that is probably
>better than estimating an hour, going off to do something else and
>then smelling something burning in the kitchen...
>
>Those dried, sliced potatoes in the Scalloped Potato mixes must be
>already be cooked some before then  being dried.

They've got to be. Another consideration is that heat transfer in
ovens works differently from when you're cooking potatoes in liquid,
and things do take longer, and then the thinness is less of an issue
when they're compacted in just a little liquid in a casserole dish.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04