[Sca-cooks] Tips for Better Pies

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Fri Dec 24 19:50:46 PST 2004

At 04:02 PM 12/24/2004, you wrote:

>So first, he suggests for the crust: make it with less liquid and more
>fat. The fat will repel some of the moistness from the filling.

Never thought of that. Wonder what the texture would be like.

>Then, second, for the filling: make it less moist by pre-cooking it to
>some extent before putting into crust to bake.

That is that last thing I would do. I would have done the opposite-
actually, I have, such as Flan of Almayne or pumpkin pies at Thanksgiving-
I prebaked the crust for about 10 minutes of so- enough to dry it a bit, so
it doesn't get waterlogged with the filling.  Anyone else doing that?

It's Christmas Eve, the Love of my Life is here, and so are all three of my
kids. So why am I whining? Because the Germ of the Week got ahold of me on
Wednesday, I can no longer breathe, I'm running a fever, and the thought of
going out for services tonight is as daunting as running a marathon. So I'm
sitting here with my juice and ibuprofen, hearing the voices drift in from
the other room, and still feeling very lucky- such wonderful people who
love me even with the sniffles...

'Lainie