[Sca-cooks] Tips for Better Pies

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 24 16:02:16 PST 2004

Well, a couple days ago Terry Gross interviewed food scientist Harold
McGee, who apparently has a new edition of "On Food and Cooking" (i
haven't seen this book, anyone got it?).

Terry asked him for some tips on baking a better pie. It's a bit late
for Thanksgiving and might be too late for Christmas.... and i don't
know if this will solve Huette's pie issues, but it's worth
considering...

He pointed out that the problem is that we want the crust crisp all
the while cooking a moist filling in it...

So first, he suggests for the crust: make it with less liquid and
more fat. The fat will repel some of the moistness from the filling.

Then, second, for the filling: make it less moist by pre-cooking it
to some extent before putting into crust to bake.

I haven't had a chance to experiment and test this, but if anyone
gives it a try, please report back.

Anahita