[Sca-cooks] Re: tips for making better pies

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 26 17:52:59 PST 2004

--- Ruth Tannahill <rtanhil at fast.net> wrote:

> For custard pies, you really can't cook your filling.

I think that depends on which kind of custard pie you are making.  If I am making a 'cream style
pie', I'll pre-cook the custard on the stovetop (think of making a Creme Brulee), and then chill
it in the walk-in before proceeding with the fruit or other ingredients.  Of course, for something
like a Feta, Leek and Onion Tart, this won't work as well, because you sort of want a quiche-type
filling for that one.  On the other hand, I have also done custard pies without pre-cooking the
custard, and it works, too (things like Pumpkin or Ricotta custards, for example)

William de Grandfort (who has Eggnog Creme Brulee in the oven at the moment, for his annual
Festivus Celebration)

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.