[Sca-cooks] Re:Chocolate thing with the density of plutonium

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 29 10:45:19 PST 2004

--- Devra at aol.com wrote:

> Dear William
>      Question.  I have sugar left over from candying pears...it has
> crystallized into a hard lump. Do you feel that this would work with your chocolate
> recipe, since you are supposed to dissolve the sugar in the butter?  Any other
> ideas for using up what is about a cup of sugar-in-a-large-lump?
>      Devra

I don't see any problem with it.  If you want to make the Chocolate Espresso Cake, just boil up
the sugar with the espresso and butter, until it dissolves.

Alternately, you could turn your sugar-rock into a simple syrup, which can then be used to sweeten
nuts, or drizzle over cakes or pastries.  Just boil up the sugar with an equal amount of water.
If you make cocktails for entertaining, simple syrup makes a great addition to Manhattan's,
Margaritas, Gin Fizz, etc...

Another idea might be to toss the sugar lump into a blender or food processor, to re-grind it into
a usable form.  Blend it with some citric acid powder to make 'sour sugar', or even turn it into
rock candy (you'll need to find a recipe for that...I don't have one anymore).

William de Grandfort

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.