[Sca-cooks] Re: My holiday

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 30 05:51:50 PST 2004

Due to both parents being somewhat too far away for travel this year (one set in the UK, one set in Florida, we live in Toledo) we got to spend our first year as husband and wife together at home.  It was nice, I got to inflict all kinds of English (or at least my familys traditions on my husband).
On Xmas eve we had roasted duck, garlic roasted red skin potatoes, roasted carrots and parsnips and asparagus.
For breakfast on Xmas day we had scrambled eggs, lox and croisants, washed down with a couple of glasses of mimosa.
Then I opened up my house to all my friends who for one reason or another did not or could not spend the holidays with parents and family.  So we eventually had a houseful of guests. They got a full buffet consisting of a collection of american favorites, european favorites, and some medieval stuff:
meatballs in sweet and sour sauce, raised game pie (rabbit, pheasant and venison), home hot smoked salmon, garlic shrimp, spinach and artichoke dip, caramalized onion blue cheese and walnut tartlets, coleslaw (had to get vegetables in there somehow), muenster, shropshire blue and brie cheese served with a semi sweet english biscuit, roast turkey, iced star cookies, mini brownies, mincemeat tarts (my mothers mincemeat canned in late 2003 and all mature), a white torte from Scappi, cream puffs with a warm chocolate sauce, candied ginger and almond brittle.
They mostly washed it down with a winter beer I'd made which was rich, sweet and spicy.  I think the last guest left at around 3am.  We had one guest decide my beer had got the better of him, hand over his keys and go to sleep on the couch.
We had a lot of fun.  Everyone thinks I'm crazy though.

Helewyse