[Sca-cooks] OOP - Green Peppers and Mangoes

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu Dec 30 13:02:42 PST 2004

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> You know, you guys should not be getting so het up about this...
> regional differenced can be extremely localized.
>
> As a example, where I grew up, everyone called a sub/hoagie/poboy
> type sandwich a "wedge".
> Then I moved only two towns away, and wound up with everyone
> looking at me strangely whenever I ordered a "meatball wedge".
>
> Turns out that that usage is limited to two or three towns in the
> Stamford CT area. But where I was (Riverside/Cos Cob) the wedge
> usage was generations old and nearly ubiquitous among the natives.
>
> So it is possible that you are both right, and that the mango
> usage was something in rather isolated pockets.
>
> Capt Elias

Who's getting het up? I'm curious as to the derivation of the term, but as
we discuss it, it helps to make sure people know the difference between a
term used for a dish, and one for a food item.

As far as sandwiches go, around here they call the type you're talking about
a "grinder", which always makes me wonder why they want to pick grindstones
and wiring out of their teeth...

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.