[Sca-cooks] OOP - Green Peppers and Mangoes

Dianne & Greg Stucki goofy1 at suscom.net
Thu Dec 30 15:04:16 PST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Gedney" <gedney1 at iconn.net>
To: "Cooks within the SCA" <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2004 3:49 PM
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] OOP - Green Peppers and Mangoes

> You know, you guys should not be getting so het up about this...
> regional differenced can be extremely localized.
>
> As a example, where I grew up, everyone called a sub/hoagie/poboy
> type sandwich a "wedge".
> Then I moved only two towns away, and wound up with everyone
> looking at me strangely whenever I ordered a "meatball wedge".

Where my husband and I grew up in Michigan,  every year we celebrated Paczki
Day (pronounced Poon-shkee Day). Here in PA, it is called Fastknacht
Day--either way, it's an utterly delicious fat doughnut with various yummy
fillings served on Fat Tuesday, just in one region it is called by the
Polish name (my DH is originally from the Polish part of Detroit) and in the
other by the German name.
I just call them good, if horrendously fattening.

Laurensa