[Sca-cooks] OOP - Green Peppers and Mangoes

Mairi Ceilidh jjterlouw at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 30 17:36:24 PST 2004

> Where my husband and I grew up in Michigan,  every year we celebrated
Paczki
> Day (pronounced Poon-shkee Day). Here in PA, it is called Fastknacht
> Day--either way, it's an utterly delicious fat doughnut with various yummy
> fillings served on Fat Tuesday, just in one region it is called by the
> Polish name (my DH is originally from the Polish part of Detroit) and in
the
> other by the German name.
> I just call them good, if horrendously fattening.
>
> Laurensa

My curiosity got the better of me:

Paczki

3 packages active dry yeast
1.5 ounces rum
1/2 cup lukewarm milk
1 cup melted butter
6 cups flour
prune filling or cherry jam
(jams w/o added sugar)
1 cup milk, scalded & cooled
oil for deep frying
2 teaspoons salt
powdered sugar for sprinkling
20 egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar

Dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm milk for 5 minutes. Sift the flour into
the scalded milk gradually. Add the yeast mixture, stirring until smooth.
Let rise for 1/2 hour. Beat the salt into the egg yolks; add to flour
mixture, mix well. Add the sugar and rum. Mix well. Knead until the dough no
longer sticks to the sides. Gradually knead in the butter. Place in a
greased bowl, turn to coat and let rise until doubled. Punch down and let
rise again. Cut the dough in half, set one half aside and roll out the
second half about 1/4 inch thick. Using a 2-inch biscuit cutter cut as many
rounds as possible. Place a dab of jam or filling on one round, cover jam
with another round and seal edges. Place the filled paczki on greased
sheets, allowing room between each for rising. Repeat the process until all
the dough is used. Let the paczki rise for about 1 hour or until doubled.
Pour the oil into deep fryer or deep pan (about 5 inches). Heat the oil
until it is about 360 to 370 degrees. Deep fry the paczki in oil for about 3
minutes per side or until golden brown on both sides. Dust with powdered
sugar.

Fastnachts

1 cup mashed potatoes (no salt, milk, or butter added)
2 cups milk
1/2 sugar + 1/2 tsp. sugar
1 stick margarine
1 packet rapid rise yeast
1/4 cup lukewarm water
6 1/2 cups flour (divided, 2 cups + 4 1/2 cups)
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 - 3 pound can Crisco® or similar vegetable shortening for frying

Preparation - Scald the milk. In a large mixing bowl, combine the scalded
millk with the mashed potatoes. Add 1/2 cup sugar plus the margarine. Mix
with an electric mixer. If the mixture is still warm, cool to about room
temperature before proceeding with next step. - Dissolve yeast and 1/2
teaspoon sugar in barely warm water. Add to the potato mixture and mix well.
Add 2 cups flour and mix again. Cover with a towel and let rise for 25
minutes.
Add salt and beaten egg to the mixture. Add 4-1/2 cups flour, stirring it
into the mixture with a large spoon. Turn onto a well floured board and
knead for about 3 to 5 minutes. Add a small amount of extra flour, if
necessary, so the dough can be handled without sticking to your fingers.
Grease a large bowl. Place the dough in the bowl. Cover with a thin towel,
and let rise in a warm, draft free place for about 2 hours or until at it is
at least double in size.

On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough 3/4" thick. You can use a
doughnut cutter to cut the dough or cut as typical Fastnachts - Cut the
dough into 3" to 4" wide strips, then cut the strips into 3" to 4" pieces.
Use a sharp paring knife to cut a small slit in the center of each piece.
(To allow the center of Fastnacht to fry completely.) Arrange the cut
pieces, about 1-1/2" to 2" apart, on large wax paper lined trays. Cover each
tray with a thin towel. Place the trays in a warm place for 45 minutes to an
hour, or until pieces have raised to about double in size.

Heat the shortening to 365º. Deep fry, turning until both sides are golden
brown. Drain on white paper towels. Cool completely before storing in an
airtight covered container. Makes about 20 to 24 Fastnachts, depending on
size. This recipe can be doubled with no change in preparation directions.

--or--

Fastnachts

Prepare 1 cup freshly riced potatoes.
Beat well 2 eggs.
Add very slowly, beating constantly, 2/3 cup sugar.
Stir in potatoes and 1 cup buttermilk or yogurt, and 2 tblspns melted
butter.
Sift before measuring 4 cups all-purpose flour.
Resift w/ 2 tspns double acting baking powder, 1 tspn baking soda, 2/3 tspn
salt, and 1/3 tspn nutmeg or cinnamon.
Stir in sifted ingredients into potato/egg mixture until blended.
Chill dough until easy to handle.
Roll out to ½" thick and cut.
Cook in oil at 375º F. It's easiest to add them to the oil w/ a pancake
flipper.
Flip as soon as brown on one side.
Takes about 3 min. to cook one fastnacht.