[Sca-cooks] OOP - Green Peppers and Mangoes

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Dec 30 17:31:43 PST 2004

Also sprach Jeff Gedney:
>  > Who's getting het up? I'm curious as to the derivation of the
>>  term, but as we discuss it, it helps to make sure people know
>>  the difference between a term used for a dish, and one for a
>>  food item.
>
>I guess I was mistaking the tone of the discussion...
>
>Here is how it seemed to me:
>
>"In Ohio/Pa they called a bell pepper a Mango"
>"No they didn't! Never!"
>"sure they did!"
>"maybe they called STUFFED peppers that, but not Peppers in general"
>"Yes they did"
>
>So it felt like a argument brewing.

I recognized that as a possibility, but figured I wouldn't worry
about it until I was sure, and until that time ascribed it to a
simple Cariadockian "I've never heard of that wondrously strange
thing," as opposed to a "That is outside the realm of my experience
so it's either grossly exaggerated or a lie."

>  > As far as sandwiches go, around here they call the type you're
>>  talking about a "grinder", which always makes me wonder why they
>>  want to pick grindstones and wiring out of their teeth...
>
>Right
>"Grinder" or "Sub" seems the general term in Connecticut.
>
>Wedge is pretty specific to a small area.
>
>Regional variances can be weird and really localized, like the
>love some people have for the Steamed Cheeseburger in Meriden, CT.
>(used to be served all over the town - some from handcarts, now only
>Ted's Lunch carries the item on the menu as far as I know.)

Yes, and within a generation of the arrival of Quizmo's and Subway,
New York City children will be born who don't know to call that type
of sandwich a hero.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782