[Sca-cooks] OOP - Green Peppers and Mangoes

Jeff Gedney gedney1 at iconn.net
Thu Dec 30 13:07:03 PST 2004

> Who's getting het up? I'm curious as to the derivation of the
> term, but as we discuss it, it helps to make sure people know
> the difference between a term used for a dish, and one for a
> food item.

I guess I was mistaking the tone of the discussion...

Here is how it seemed to me:

"In Ohio/Pa they called a bell pepper a Mango"
"No they didn't! Never!"
"sure they did!"
"maybe they called STUFFED peppers that, but not Peppers in general"
"Yes they did"

So it felt like a argument brewing.

> As far as sandwiches go, around here they call the type you're
> talking about a "grinder", which always makes me wonder why they
> want to pick grindstones and wiring out of their teeth...

Right
"Grinder" or "Sub" seems the general term in Connecticut.

Wedge is pretty specific to a small area.

Regional variances can be weird and really localized, like the
love some people have for the Steamed Cheeseburger in Meriden, CT.
(used to be served all over the town - some from handcarts, now only Ted's Lunch carries the item on the menu as far as I know.)

Capt Elias
-Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather
wood, divide the work, and give orders.  Instead, teach them
to yearn for the vast and endless sea.
  - Antoine de Saint Exupery