[Sca-cooks] Container Gardening (Was Medlars and lovage)

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 13:30:11 PST 2004

> I'm assuming (probably correctly) that it is a matter of soil volume and water retention.  I think I will need larger pots, which can hold more soil, so the water doesn't evaporate as quickly, but then the space factor comes into play.

Greetings,

In many regions Containers need daily watering in order to thrive - in
the dead of Summer here in Atlanta they need watering twice daily. You
can improve your water retention in the same manners that you do in
the regular ole garden - by utilizing mulch.

Instead of filling the pot up to within 1/2 to 1 inch of the lip,
leave it a little lower and add a layer of mulch, large nuggets,
shreds, pebbles just about anything that you have had success with in
the garden should work.

Unfortunately the environment which you describe is pretty much the
opposite of what is good for most plants. Even when a plant likes full
sun they usually benefit from being protected from the late afternoon
beating.

I know not where you live, but it might be worthwhile for you to look
into cooperative gardens. They cater to people who want to garden but
do not have the space. They are usually for enhancement of the
community so they are not profit making ventures and therefore not
horribly expensive. You get a little plot of land to work on and you
also get to know a community of people in your same situation.

For an example here in Atlanta you can look here:
http://www.acfb.org/projects/community_garden/
there might be something similar in your area.

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva