[Sca-cooks] Container Gardening (Was Medlars and lovage)

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Fri Dec 31 13:00:26 PST 2004

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

Like you, my space is very limited, and not ideal
> for planting anything.  My particular situation is an upstairs apartment
patio, covered by a thick
> stucco roof, fully enclosed except for a 'viewport' about 3 1/2 feet high
and 5 feet long.  In the
> summer, it gets shade all day, except for the blistering end of the
afternoon, when the sun plows
> through like a freight train (usually the time I have the BBQ running, as
well), so it gets plenty
> toasty.  In previous attempts, I have managed to deep-fry some fresh
Rosemary, and have
> successfully turned potting soil into sawdust.

Try the mints- generally, the tougher the conditions, the better they
thrive. You can do tomatoes and hot peppers, if you have at least a cubic
foot of soil per plant, preferably 2- the peppers they sell as "decorative"
are edible, hotter than the hinges of Hel, and thrive almost anywhere. You
can help your water problem by using a deep container with a hole in the
bottom, placed in a dish that holds water, and you can improve the sunlight
situation with grow lamps- they aren't terribly expensive.

Also, sounds like you have ideal conditions for aloe. They don't do well in
direct sun, but relected is great- if you put a shade between them and the
blast furnace in the afternoon, they should do just fine. They're also
pretty tolerant of irregular watering patterns.

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.