[Sca-cooks] Container Gardening (Was Medlars and lovage)

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 31 12:41:08 PST 2004

--- Bronwynmgn at aol.com wrote:

  I did, however, find a very useful oversize
> paperback book called "Moveable Harvests", covering just those topics.

I do have a book on container gardening, but what I was looking for, in particular, were success
tips from those who have done it successfully.  Like you, my space is very limited, and not ideal
for planting anything.  My particular situation is an upstairs apartment patio, covered by a thick
stucco roof, fully enclosed except for a 'viewport' about 3 1/2 feet high and 5 feet long.  In the
summer, it gets shade all day, except for the blistering end of the afternoon, when the sun plows
through like a freight train (usually the time I have the BBQ running, as well), so it gets plenty
toasty.  In previous attempts, I have managed to deep-fry some fresh Rosemary, and have
successfully turned potting soil into sawdust.

I'm assuming (probably correctly) that it is a matter of soil volume and water retention.  I think
I will need larger pots, which can hold more soil, so the water doesn't evaporate as quickly, but
then the space factor comes into play.

Anyway, it's something for me to play with, and any helpful hints would be appreciated.

Thanks, by the way, to Stefan.... the Flori-etc entry was helpful.

William de Grandfort

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.