[Sca-cooks] re: potatoes

Linda Anderson lpa1 at sunlink.net
Thu Feb 12 18:16:24 PST 2004

I knew someone on this list would have the information.  I suspected that
potatoes were a South American discovery due to info on the Peruvian blue
potatoes (which I grow here in PA).  But, like corn and tomatoes, I wasn't
sure when things got universally available as in grown in Europe.

Tomatoes were thought to be poisonous, yes?  "Love apples" and all that?

When did corn and cornmeal come into bread making etc?

I do remember and have seen cornmeal and grits "plopping" on the burners to
the extent that someone could get burned from the "plops" that went out of
the pot.

Linda in PA