[Sca-cooks] Re: Raw beef sandwiches

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 13 10:19:44 PST 2004

Does anybody remember a parent or
grandparent, possibly one who would sneer at fancy presentations with
egg yolks and capers, grossing out the kids by eating raw meat on rye
with maybe a few pickles?

I'm just wondering if perhaps this kind of thing was more widespread
fifty years ago than we'd like to believe now, or have been told.
Comments? Info?

Adamantius

My Italian dad has always been one for rare meat, and sometimes he'd come home from work (he was a cop)  with a bag full of deli rolls and a pound or two of the finest ground sirloin, freshly prepared by the butcher. He'd chop up an onion and make sandwiches, adding only salt and pepper.

Because he was a cop in a heavily Jewish town and got his meat prepared at a kosher butcher, I think he picked up the habit from some of his buddies or one of the delis in the town he worked in. Teaneck, N.J., it was.

And dammit, even when I am making meatballs I'll set aside a little ground beef for myself. After I make the meatballs, I'll just take my gob of beef, salt it, and eat it. My sister and I both take after my dad; our steaks must still "moo,"

Gianotta