[Sca-cooks] Fw: Prickly pear fruit

Thebard thebard3 at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 13 18:20:47 PST 2004

First off use them as fresh as possible, they start to turn bittter the
minute they are picked.  And like a few fruits they do have a laxitive
effect if you eat too much at once but they are good for you.  Many
people use them to help lower their cholesterol and I know a few
diabetics who say it helps them keep blood sugar levels well, level.

And because you didn't say how they were aquired I'll say this, wear
gloves when handleing them!  Learned this lesson as a kid.  The really
fine, hair-like thorns on the things will drive you nuts! And unless you
are very good at useing a propane torch to burn them off they are hard
to get rid of.

Here are a few recipes I've made in the past;

Prickly Pear Jelly
4 cups Prickly Pear juice
5 cups sugar
Pectin, one pack

Follow manufacturer's directions for adding ingredients and boil for 5
min. Pour into sterilized jars and seal with wax. Should syrup not jell,
cook 5 more min
______________

Prickly Pear Candy

2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/3 cups light corn syrup
1 1/2 cups Prickly Pear juice
2 pack powdered fruit pectin
1 teaspoon baking soda

Put fruit in a large pan and barely cover with water. Stickers will cook
and strain out. Boil fruit until soft, occasionally mashing down and
cutting through the fruit to release the juice. Strain through a cloth
in a colander. This juice may be canned in fruit jars and used for
candies and jellies, or used immediately.

Candy Procedure
Use two large pans because candy foams. In one pan, mix sugar and syrup
and bring to a full rolling boil. Simultaneously, cook foaming juice,
pectin and baking soda mixture in another pan until foaming dies down,
stirring both mixtures. Pour pectin mixture slowly into sugar mix and
boil together about 2 more minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from
fire, stir a bit more to allow bubbles to escape and candy to clear.
Pour into buttered 10 x 6-inch glass dish. Let stand at room temperature
until set (several hours).

Candy can then be turned out on a buttered pan and sugared.  Let "dry"
one day before storing

-Note, made this a few times and the last time I lined the glass dish
with edible rice paper, that way all I had to do is cut it after it's
set.  It worked really well, just don't do like me and put a peice of
the paper on top or they will sick together  Thought about useing
something like agar powder to make it next year but don't know if it
will work or not.
________________

*Prickly Pear Syrup*

12 prickly pears
1/4 cup honey

Wash and cut each prickly pear into quarters, leaving the skins on.
Place the fruit in a food processor and process until pulpy and
thoroughly blended.
Press the liquid through a fine sieve; discard skin and seeds.
Put the prickly pear juice into a saucepan with the honey and bring to a
boil over medium-high heat.
Reduce the heat and let simmer 10 min, until the mixture has thickened.
Remove from the heat and let cool.

Can be used in drink recipes, salid dressings, used as table syrup,
canned and so on.