[Sca-cooks] potatoes, corn and tomatoes

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Feb 13 22:57:00 PST 2004

Linda in PA asked:
> But, like corn and tomatoes, I wasn't
> sure when things got universally available as in grown in Europe.
>
> When did corn and cornmeal come into bread making etc?
More Florilegium files for you.
In the FOOD-VEGETABLES section:
16C-Tomato-art    (16K)  9/ 5/02    "Sixteenth Century Italian and
Spanish
                                        Tomato References" by Johnnae
llyn Lewis,
                                        Helewyse de Birkestad, and
Brighid ni
                                        Chiarain.
tomato-hist-art   (18K)  2/ 1/99    "You say tomato I say Xitomatl" by
Lord
                                        Xaviar the Eccentric.
tomatoes-msg      (32K) 11/ 7/03    Tomatoes in period.

In the FOOD-BREADS section:
maize-msg         (37K)  3/28/02    Discovery of maize (Indian corn) in
the
                                        Americas and its introduction to
Europe.
polenta-msg       (22K) 10/ 1/01    Period polenta. Wheat and maize
polenta.
grains-msg        (68K)  3/ 2/03    Medieval grains. Recipes. Cooking.
flour-msg         (60K)  5/25/02    Types of flour. Sources. Period
flour.

Stefan
PS: I've heard that if you go to the main SCA website, www.sca.org
there is a way to enter your regular address (perhaps the zip code?)
and they will tell you the closest groups and give you some contact
info. However, that info may be a bit old, so perhaps the folks on this
list can give you better contact info.
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com