[Sca-cooks] Valentine's Day dinner... sort of...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Feb 14 23:38:36 PST 2004

...was fairly to moderately dreadful. We had committed to attending
the 70th birthday party of a newish friend of some old friends, at
whose home this party was to be held. The Birthday Girl was in charge
of dinner, and it was... unique. Some of it was quite good, although
a lot of it I simply chose to avoid, since it involved nutrients I am
avoiding at present. There was a seafood curry, and I can only say I
haven't had a curry like that since I was a child, but even though
when people normally say that it is meant as a good thing, in this
case, it wasn't, or at least not as god as I hoped it would be.  It
reminded me of some English or Imperial curry recipes, basically
English interpretations or imitations of real Indian curries. This
seemed to be some kind of cream or white sauce with a little curry
powder in it , with chopped apples and onions, with, of course, all
sorts of stuff in little dishes to sprinkle on top. My mother used to
make a chicken curry along those lines (although hers was
tomato-based), but as kids the fun part was dousing it all with
raisins, coconut, peanuts, pineapple, etc.

I don't normally see that much at Indian restaurants ;-).

I think the main reason I was a little uncomfortable, though, was
that there were just too many people, and nobody could really carry
on much of a conversation for any period of time, there was a  lot of
milling around. My ever-tactful spouse said it reminded her of some
SCA events she remembered ;-). As I type, I'm sitting with some
thinly-sliced sopressata and mozzarella with herbs, olives and a few
toasted macadamia nuts.

Well, there was one interesting incident that kind of stood out. I
was sitting and talking to someone or other, and my lady wife was
talking to someone else, and I heard, with that cook's radar, the
words "medieval recipes" emerge from my wife's mouth. I turned and
looked, to discover that my wife, and the lady to whom she was
talking, were saying something about my interest in medieval recipes.
Not knowing what else to say, I nodded, looking authoritative, and
said, "Yes, medieval recipes!"

The other lady was a woman named Lee, apparently, and she said to me,
"Well, if you're interested in medieval recipes, you're probably
familiar with the work of my cousin, who wrote a rather well-known
book on the subject."

"Please, God," I'm praying silently, "let it be Karen Hess." Chilling
premonition going up and down my spine, I said, "Are you by any
chance the cousin of Madeline Pellner Cosman? 'Fabulous Feasts'?"

"Yes," she said, "that's right! Have you seen her book? Yes? What did
you think of it?"

"I thought it was terr... well, let me put it another way. At the
time the book was written, there were very few alternatives for those
interested in adapted, secondary sources. Maybe two or three others
were commonly available, and she wasn't writing for an audience of
historical re-creators or Living History types anyway, but the
unfortunate reality is that while she deserves respect as a
trailblazer, there are now a _LOT_ more books on this subject than
there used to be, and for anyone seriously interested in eating
medieval food as it was in the Middle Ages, in the way it was eaten
in the Middle Ages, there are a lot of options available, and very
nearly every last one of them is better than "Fabulous Feasts". I can
think of one book I would recommend _after_ "Fabulous Feasts". But,
as I say, when it was written there weren't a lot of options
available for those who didn't want to go to the manuscripts
themselves, so that's something, anyway."

"Dear, it's so sweet of you to defend her that way, but you needn't
on my account. Nobody in the family likes her anyway... she _made_
her own mother buy copies of her book..."

So we spent a lovely half-hour swapping Madeline Pellner Cosman
stories, ending with my falsetto impersonation of her speaking of
medieval people eating with their hands... "The food is conveyed to
the mouth not with forks, but with those multipurpose extensions to
the carpal bones of the hand; I refer of course to thah
_fin-gaaaaaahs_." I said she sounded like a cross between Margaret
Dumont in a Marx Brothers movie and Natalie Schaeffer as Mrs.
Thurston Howell.

"Yes," says the cousin, "we all love her accent, too. How she got it
in a Jewish home in Brooklyn is one of life's great mysteries."

Adamantius