[Sca-cooks] medieval gardens

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Mon Feb 16 09:30:52 PST 2004

AEllin asked:

OK... I'm curious. I don't know much about gardens, but I'd always heard
that they were good examples of Medieval ones - but now, of course,
don't know if that was merely an assumption or what. Since, if I want to
hang out in a garden on a sunny day (well, a somewhat warmer sunny
day...) they're one of my options *G* I'd like to know about them.
<<<<

Take a look through the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section of the Florilegium. There are several articles there on medieval gardens and on growing your own. Of all sizes, from monstrously large to ones for apartments, although unless you are doing the minature tree thing, I guess pattern gardens are not to practical for apartments or suburban homes.
A-Med-Garden-art  (32K)  7/29/02    "Recreating a Medieval Garden"
                                        by Brianna McBain.
gardening-bib      (9K)  6/ 3/99    Bibliography on medieval gardening
                                       by Raisya Khorivovna.
gardening-bks-bib  (3K)  5/25/01    Various gardening bibliographies. Reviews.
Palladius-art     (41K) 11/18/99    Palladius' treatise on gardening 1420.
Pattrn-gardns-art (12K) 10/13/00    "Parterres and the Jardins Potager in the
                                       Current Middle Ages" by Akim Yaroslavich.

Come to think of it, one, at least, is laid out in the geometric pattern
that you (?) said earlier was more modern...
<<<<
If I remember right, the geometric pattern is post-medieval but still was done prior to 1600. I think Akim's article above details some of this.

What about the espaliered apple tree?
<<<<
What is an "espaliered" apple tree? Sounds like you are doing something terrible to that apple tree...

Stefan