[Sca-cooks] peeling fruit

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Feb 16 22:31:23 PST 2004

  Caointiarn replied to me with:
> > But I noticed he was selling peeled oranges in  some manner, and was
> > using
> a gizmo very much like those
> > apple-peeler-slicer thingies (essentially a lathe) to peel the
> > oranges,
> <into> four-or-five-foot-long, 1/8-inch wide strips of orange peel,
> devoid
> of almost all pith (most of which was still on the oranges).
> > <<<<
> >
> > This sounds great if you are looking for just the peel for candying,
> > since
> I've found it a pain to strip off the pith from the fruit peel. But why
> would you want to *leave* the pith behind on the fruit? That would
> seem to
> make eating the fruit that much more difficult. It's probably more
> difficult
> to peel that pith from the fruit without the peel than if you left the
> peel on the fruit and sold it that way.
> >
> > Stefan
>
>      Actually it is easier to get the peeling off first, and then peel
> away
> the pith.  Mainly because you have something bigger to hold unto than
> a thin
> peeling, or a half shell {having juiced the fruit}  Even using a
> zester as I
> do at times to save the peel,  I zest first, then the next layer, then
> slice the fruit, or juice it whatever I'm using it for.
It sounds like you are talking about when you wish to save the peel. I
was talking about with somebody like the street vender that Adamantius
described. Why would he want to leave the pith behind on the fruit?
Would someone actually prefer to eat the fruit with the pith on it? Or
would they still have to peel the pith off the fruit? Because it seems
like it would be easier to rip the peel off the fruit and take most of
the pith with it. And in addition here, presumably, pay extra to have
someone take off the peel and then still have to pull off the pith.

This little machine, or better being able to buy the 'waste' product of
this machine sounds like a good thing for someone interested in
candying the peels.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas