[Sca-cooks] peeling fruit

caointiarn caointiarn1 at juno.com
Mon Feb 16 15:08:56 PST 2004

>>> Adamantius mentioned seeing a street vender:
> But I noticed he was selling peeled oranges in  some manner, and was using
a gizmo very much like those
> apple-peeler-slicer thingies (essentially a lathe) to peel the  oranges,
<into> four-or-five-foot-long, 1/8-inch wide strips of orange peel, devoid
of almost all pith (most of which was still on the oranges).
> <<<<
>
> This sounds great if you are looking for just the peel for candying, since
I've found it a pain to strip off the pith from the fruit peel. But why
would you want to *leave* the pith behind on the fruit? That would seem to
make eating the fruit that much more difficult. It's probably more difficult
to peel that pith from the fruit without the peel than if you left the peel
on the fruit and sold it that way.

> Stefan

    Actually it is easier to get the peeling off first, and then peel away
the pith.  Mainly because you have something bigger to hold unto than a thin
peeling, or a half shell {having juiced the fruit}  Even using a zester as I
do at times to save the peel,  I zest first, then the next layer, then slice
the fruit, or juice it whatever I'm using it for.

Caointiarn