[Sca-cooks] peeling fruit

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Mon Feb 16 09:03:03 PST 2004

Adamantius mentioned seeing a street vender:

But I noticed he was selling peeled oranges in
some manner, and was using a gizmo very much like those
apple-peeler-slicer thingies (essentially a lathe) to peel the
oranges, and he had, hanging underneath the contraption, a clean
plastic shopping bag that he was using to catch the
four-or-five-foot-long, 1/8-inch wide strips of orange peel, devoid
of almost all pith (most of which was still on the oranges).
<<<<

This sounds great if you are looking for just the peel for candying, since I've found it a pain to strip off the pith from the fruit peel. But why would you want to *leave* the pith behind on the fruit? That would seem to make eating the fruit that much more difficult. It's probably more difficult to peel that pith from the fruit without the peel than if you left the peel on the fruit and sold it that way.

Stefan
For some reason I got digest no. 71 this morning, but I haven't seen numbers 68, 69 and 70. I hope they show up later today or are on my home machine.