[Sca-cooks] P: Celery Seed / Lovage

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Mon Feb 16 08:59:40 PST 2004

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> This is one of the ingredients oft called for but more difficult to find.
> So, has anyone else heard of this? Is it factual? Is it possible that it
has
> been "under our noses" this whole time? Or am I just catching on to
> something everyone else already knows.
>
> Glad Tidings,
> Serena da Riva

More difficult to find? It's been in the spice section of any grocery that
carries anything more exotic than salt and pepper, in my experience. I'd
have used it in last night's dinner, if Rob hadn't carefully put the empty
bottle back in the spice box. (Dinner was turnips, peeled and quartered,
cabbage cut fairly fine, but not shredded, in the bottom of a pot with a
dollop of water- enought to prevent it burning until the juices start
rendering, butter- several pats scattered over the veggies, and usually the
celery seed and some pepper, then lidded with pork chops and left to cook
slowly, so the chops steam and render their juices.)

I'll put it in deviled eggs, potato salad, egg salad- it goes well with
anything that celery would do well with.

Very useful spice, and one I use quite often.

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.