[Sca-cooks] Source information for the make-up of removes?

Susan Laing paxford at gil.com.au
Sat Feb 21 02:44:14 PST 2004

Hi Everyone

So sorry for being silent lately - I'm 93 digests behind on the list and not
finding much time to get any cooking research done due to work and health
pressures

What I actually need help here with is trying to explain to a friend (a
member of a Viking/dark ages group that does very little food research) why
the idea of separate "soup/appertiser"; "main" and "dessert" courses is a
modern invention.

I'm trying to explain that a standard medieval remove would consist of a
variety of dishes meant to bolster the eaters "humours"

Am I totally off the beam on this?  Can anyone flip me a well worded
explantion (including source) that I can pass one?

Thanks!

And Huggles

Marion

Mari de Paxford