[Sca-cooks] medieval fast food

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Feb 22 23:26:16 PST 2004

Linda Anderson asked:
> What was pub fare like (or the medieval equivalent of "fast-food")?
> Not
> feast-food, but things ike stews and roasts that could be made ahead
> and
> served in taverns?  Would that be correct?  What would travelers be
> likely to be served at the inns?
Well, not tavern food, but how about various street foods? There are
also items that we might consider fast foods or street foods that were
served in other settings. Here are a few files in the Florilegium on
such items:
Scotch-Eggs-msg   (17K)  3/21/01    Fried sausage-wrapped hard-boiled
eggs.
  (I've not seen any evidence that these are actually period, though...)
fried-breads-msg  (28K) 12/29/02    Period fried breads. Funnel cakes,
donuts.
jumbels-msg        (8K) 10/12/03    Knotted twists of dough similar to
pretzels.
pizza-msg         (12K) 11/ 9/03    Period pizza and similar items.
pretzels-msg      (28K) 11/ 9/03    Period pretzels and pretzel-like
breads.
wafers-msg        (76K) 12/ 4/03    Period savory and sweet wafers.
Recipes.
   (probably not a period street food, but similar by today's ideas)

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com