[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks Digest, Spices - Cardamon

UrthMomma at aol.com UrthMomma at aol.com
Mon Feb 23 18:19:33 PST 2004

Cardamon is native to southern India, growing as an understory plant in
tropical forests. It requires shade, and experiences leaf burn in direct sun.

I have a 14 inch pot of cardamon in my living room that I am overwintering as
a houseplant . It's doing fairly well. In the past 3 or 4 years I have
attempted to overwinter cardamon in a cool greenhouse along with a fig, a tea bush,
lemon verbena and rosemary. It died everytime. Cardamon is truly a tropical
plant and really doesn't like it below 40 deg F.  Cardamon will probably not
produce flowers and seed pods in my climate ( zone 5 USDA - Indiana) , but the
leaves smell wonderful, although I do not know of a culinary use for them. In
summer the pot lives under a large spruce tree, limbed up about 6 foot up the
trunk, in a quite shady, eg grass won't grow there, situation. Cardamon is a
lush for water, but it also likes well drained soil. It also makes a nice potted
plant for a shady porch or deck and has a lovely fragrance when ever someone
brushes against the leaves.

It is possible that cardamon plants could have been grown in southern Europe
and the Middle East, but they are native to humid tropical forests, so
actually getting a seed crop is  problematic in that climate. Not utterly impossible,
but only a dedicated herbalist/gardener with a fair amount of luck and hard
work could do so. Commercially -fugetaboutit.

the other Olwen
Olwen Buklond
Barony of Sternfeld, Middle