: [Sca-cooks] Missing event?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 23 19:01:38 PST 2004

Linda Anderson wrote:
>As Heleen Greenwald and I exited the Cross-Valley Expressway to Kingston,
>PA this arvo, we noticed on the pole "SCA turn right".
>
>Did we miss an event here?  Or is there another SCA (unknown name) around?????

Well, i don't know about where you were, but i
was watching TV Thursday night, "Without A
Trace", a missing-persons drama, and the young
woman who they were searching for had joined a
Twelve-Step-like self-help group called Sexual
Compulsives Anonymous (which is a real
organization).

As the searchers tracked her time-line and wrote
up the clues on a white board, there it was, in
black marker: "Joins SCA".

Boy, did i do a double take.

Then there was the Satanic Church of America...
but that is, as far as i know, rather old history.

OK, i Googled "SCA". Besides the SCA we all know
and love, and Sexual Compulsives Anonymous, there
are also these groups using the abbreviation
"SCA":
-- Samoyed Club of America
-- Saskatchewan Curling Association
-- Scientific Computing Associates Corp.
-- School for The Contemporary Arts (at Simon
Fraser University in British Columbia)
-- Scottsdale Christian Academy (Arizona)
-- Scottish Canoe Association
-- Seattle Counselors Association--counseling on Mental Health/Addiction
-- Section CNT des Ambulanciers Hospitaliers
-- Shiseido Cosmetics America
-- The Shipbuilders Council of America
-- Small Craft Advisor
-- Social Care Association
-- Social Concerns & Action Committee (a
Christian org. who refer to themselves as SCA)
-- Sociedad Central de Arquitectos, Argentina
-- La Société Canadienne d'Anthropologie (The Canadian Anthropology Society)
-- Society for Commercial Archeology
-- Society for Cultural Anthropology (a section
of the American Anthropological Association)
-- Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists
-- Sony Corporation of America
-- Special Collections and Archives (in the University of Liverpool Library)
-- Student Catholic Action (Philippines)
-- Student Community Action
-- Student Conservation Association, Inc.
-- Svenska Cellulosa Aktiebolaget  (which
produces and sells absorbent hygiene products,
packaging solutions
and publication papers)
-- Symposium on Computer Animation
-- Sydney Catchment Authority
-- Sydney College of the Arts (part of the University of Sydney)

I rather like the Scottish Canoe Assoc...

There were others, but i should stop here.
However, by far the most hits were for Society
for Creative Anachronism web sites.

Anahita