[Sca-cooks] Better than baba ganoush, but is it period?

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 27 08:25:00 PST 2004

My husband and I went out last night to our favorite little Turkish restaurant. The owners also operate a deli up the road where I get my rosewater for cosmetics and cooking, my tahini, and great fresh bread and fresh feta and other goodies. But I digress. I picked out as an appetizer this cold dish comprising roasted eggplant, chopped coarsely and mixed with parley, green pepper, bits of carrot, lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, and olive oil. It was heaven spread on the hot bread with bits of onion, sesame, and poppyseed that was brought to our table. And it was not bitter at all, which is what I find most eggplant dishes to be

I didn't catch the name of the dish, but it definitely seems more of a relation to tapenade. Turkish tapenade, if you will. I have vowed to track down a recipe. Anyone have a recipe that's similar, but period? Are tapenades period?

Thanks!

Gianotta