[Sca-cooks] Questions....

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 28 07:01:47 PST 2004

Kiri wrote:

> In one recipe, I encountered a reference to "leavening"....from de Nola:

> Oranges from Xativa Which Are Crullers

[snip]
>  But note one thing:  that you should add a little leavening to the cheeses
> and the eggs, and add flour to the other, and when you make the balls grease your
> hands with a little oil which should be fine
[snip]

> What kind of leavening are they referring to?  Could I get away with
> using yeast?

In southern Europe, they tended to use sourdough as leavening, rather than the ale barm that was used in northern countries.  However, they did not admire the sour flavor that comes from letting the dough sit for a long time.  (Platina warns against this in his bread-making instructions.)  If you don't have sourdough starter, you could use yeast, but you would have to make a sponge, not add the yeast directly.  Dissolve about 2 teaspoons of yeast in 2 cups of warm water.  Wait 10 minutes, then add enough flour to make a mixture like thick pancake batter.  cover, and let sit for an hour or two, until it is bubbling happily.  Use some of this sponge as the leavening in the fritter recipe.

> Secondly, I also have a recipe, from Cuoco Napoletano, for a Cherry
> Torte that calls for rose petals.  Now I know I won't be able to get
> these locally as I doubt we'll have roses in early May.  And I know I
> can't go to a florist for them because those have been treated with
> insecticides, etc.  Any suggestions as to where I could get these...or
> could I simply omit them.

I have seen dried rosebuds in the health-food store, amongst the herbs.  The brand they carry is Frontier:
http://www.frontiercoop.com/shop/merchant.mvc

I have never tried cooking with these.  You'd probably want to rehydrate the petals.

Brighid ni Chiarain