P.S.: Re: [Sca-cooks] chorizo

Robert Downie rdownie at mb.sympatico.ca
Sun Feb 1 10:35:28 PST 2004

"Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius" wrote:

> >Since I went looking for linguica and came back with chourica (it's
> >a long story, doesn't bear repeating), how much difference is there
> >between them? (I'm not suggesting there's none; I just don't know
> >what it is, and figure someone else here might.)
>
> P.S.: I did a quick web search and at least one company selling
> linguica and chourico by mail-order and online, suggests that
> linguica and chourico are essentially the same (in fact, identical
> except for spice quantity/proportion), but with chourico being hotter
> than linguica. If that's the case, it's possible that what I got was
> actually linguica after all.
>
> A.

Yes, they are very similar.  Linguica is often thinner and doesn't always contain
pimento paste, otherwise they are almost indistinguishable.  You may run across
another variant on the spiced pork sausage theme, salpicao.  It also contains many
of the same ingredients as the other two, but is more lightly smoked, less fatty
and thicker in shape.  You can essentially substitute any one of these for the
other without a dramatic difference in the final product.

Faerisa